Monday, November 12, 2007

Start Holiday Cooking Now!


It is that time of year when you start planning your Holiday cooking.

While planning the big feast on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas are not that hard, it is the little stuff like candy, cookies, cakes and pies that you can start on right now to prevent all-nighters the week before Santa comes.

A couple of reasons for this is that things like candy can be made early and stored till later. Another reason is if your not in practice or your candy thermometer doesn't work, it may take a few batches to get things right.

So, that is why I made a batch of peanut brittle last week. Plus the fact that I had never made it before weighed heavy in my decision too. It was a good thing I did. The first batch I made turned out bad. It was hard, but when you ate it, the brittle would end up like a big caramel rolling around in your mouth.

The second batch I made has turned out much better. It is very crunchy and has a good peanutty taste to it. The recipe that I used can be found at FudgeMail.com and a big thank you to them also. I have included a picture of the peanut brittle cooling on a cookie sheet after I cooked it.

I am interested if anyone else has made peanut brittle and if the recipes are similar or not. I preferred this recipe because it did not use any artificial coloring. The color of the brittle is from cooking the brittle just right.

Well, I hope that you enjoy this recipe and let me know how your attempt goes.

Till next time.....

No comments: